This post may contain affiliate links. But hey! I only promote brands and products that I really really trust. You can check out the long version of this in my affiliate disclosure on my page titled "Legal Mumbo Jumbo."
There is some exciting news here at Uninspired…
I’ve decided to start a new series! On Facebook this week, I asked if anyone would be interested in reading or guest posting in a series about mental health and self-care, and I got an overwhelming one hundred responses from people who wanted to be involved. Thus, Mental Health Monday was born.
This series will involve lovely guest bloggers who have volunteered to share their experience with mental health. So far, I have people willing to write about anxiety, depression, post-partum depression, bipolar disorder, mindfulness, and what it’s like to have family members with mental illness. And if nothing on that list resonates with you, the beautiful thing is, you can pitch it to me! I have to fill every Monday for all of the foreseeable future, so I’m pretty open to hearing from people at this point 🙂
I decided to start this series because, duh, this stuff is important. However, being in the psychology field and talking about it constantly, I sometimes forget that not everyone has that fact pounded into their heads. It really hit me that this was something I needed to do when a reader said to me:
“Nicole this is the first time I have even had a discussion [with] others about this stuff! No clue people were open and accepting.”
No clue people were open and accepting?! Girl, pull up a chair, make some tea, we’re gonna talk about this shit ’til we’re blue in the damn face. It makes me so sad to think that there are so many people out there who need to talk and need a community, but don’t know that there’s one out there for them.
So like, this is really important y’all, and I’m so glad you’re in it with me.
I don’t have a guest poster today, because I just started getting drafts from interested bloggers, and I need to read them over. However, I did want to jump right in to talking about mental health. And what a perfect day to do it! It’s Mental Health Monday, it’s the first day of Spring, and it’s also the International Day of Happiness.
What is the International Day of Happiness, you ask?
It’s fine if you don’t know, it’s a fairly new concept. The first IDOH was held in 2013, after all 193 members of the United Nations decided that happiness needed to be a higher priority. They dubbed today, March 20th, as the day to celebrate relationships and take care of yourself. When I was in college, I was part of many organizations that celebrated the event by giving away free Rita’s Italian Ice (by the way, did you know today is Free Rita’s Day AND Free Dairy Queen Day? Check out my Facebook page for details, and drop me a like while you’re there!) or by educating people about the ways they can take care of themselves.
Since I am no longer in college (even though I’m still crying about it) I have to take it upon myself this year to make it a happy day. I’m writing this post just after finishing a statistics exam, which happened after I spent a full day chasing third graders around. After this, I have to go to my third job as a tutor.
I found time to write this post for you guys, and I’m finding time to take my sister and her friend for some free Rita’s when I’m done with this long-ass day. The reading for my ethics in counseling class however….that might be harder to find time for…..
I found these 25 AWESOME blog posts about Self-Care via Pinterest
Hey, follow me on Pinterest! I have a great Mental Health group board full of inspiring and relatable blog posts.
- 21 Self Care Practices for the Mind, Body and Soul – Confident Life
- How to Create an Evening Self Care Routine – Moms Choose Joy
- 101 Self Care Activities – Get Mom Balanced
- 100 Ways to Practice Self-Care – Dalindcy
- 50 Items to Have in Your Self-Care Sanctuary – The Truth Practice
- 7 Ways to Practice Self-Care This Weekend – Confident Life
- How to Create a Self-Care Retreat – Christy Tending
- 22 Ways to Treat Yo Self Without Spending Money – Life and a Budget
- Self-Care Ideas for Spring – Wholeheartedly Healthy
- 3 Ways Self-Care Helps Me Tackle Tough Times – Make It 218
- 50 Things to Do When You’re Feeling Stressed – The Truth Practice
- Self-Care for Health Pros – Making Lemonade
- How to Practice Self-Care Like a Boss – Wholeheartedly Healthy
- How to Start a Self-Care Routine – The Minimalist Mind
- 64 Ideas for Self-Care When Life Gets Hard – Janine Ripper
- 10 Effective Self-Care Rituals for Stressed Out, Overwhelmed, Highly Sensitives – Oh So Sensitive
- My Nightly Self-Care Routine – Jessica Dimas
- 15 Self-Care Tips for the Winter Blues – Courageous Writing
- How and Why to Practice Self-Care – Very Erin
- 5 Self-Care and Inspiration Blogs to Follow – Love the Here and Now
- 101 Self-Care Ideas – Ivory and Pine
- 25 Self Care Ideas for Bad Days – Resilient
- 101 Useful Ways to Practice Self-Care – Delighted Heart
- 15 Ways to Practice Self-Care – Loved by Liv
- A Beginner’s Guide to Self-Care – Feisty Green Polka Dot